Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Hello and I'm Back on the learning curve

Posted by 7acres 
Hello and I'm Back on the learning curve
August 29, 2016 05:03PM
I'm very happy to find this forum! I attended GW's WSB 1-5 back in 2006. I totally ate it up. Had qCharts, was practicing trades, following the rules, etc. Then I ended up between contracts and the money ran out. Didn't look to get back into it all till 2014. I started reading over my material from the class and started to wonder how much of it is possibly obsolete. A lot can change in 10 years, right? I couldn't get ToS to work on my work laptop back then and didn't figure there was any way to start practicing again.

Well, recently my father started trading with his pension money and was sharing his exploits with me. He knows nothing of GW's system. But in talking with him and getting on StockCharts to show him some basic technical analysis just lit a fire under me. This stuff was always a huge source of fun to me. I never got to the point I was doing real trades and still loved it.

Well I now have ToS installed and set up with GW's Chart Parameters. A few things have changed over the past 10 years that make taking another shot at this stacked much more in my favor. I have a good job working 100% from home. I'm in a line of work where I have a lot of autonomy with my time now. I can watch the market all throughout the day. The current state of ToS means I don't have to shell out major money on qCharts while I'm practicing. I'm married now too though so I feel the need to demonstrate success paper trading to my wife before I start trading with real money. But I can do all of that without taxing the family budget now.

Anyway, I live in Upstate SC. I could really use a mentor. And as humble as I know how to say it, thank you all on here for sharing enough to make me feel like I can pick back up and at least have fun with this again. I feel like this forum will give me a place to tap back into GW's wavelength. I'm glad to see there's a community still around using his teachings. Anyway, I just wanted to pop in and introduce myself. Hopefully I'll be an asset around here in due time smileys with beer
Re: Hello and I'm Back on the learning curve
August 30, 2016 07:00AM
Welcome to the forums.

"Upstate SC" omg that's funny!!!

TOS can be a bit of a pain to get right, but once you do your done with it.

Sadly though I think the best days of this forum are behind it now. Most of the good contributors have gone silent and moved on. About the only things that happen around here now are folks showing up asking Robert to build some ridiculous scripts for TOS. I think they are hoping to develop the magical "black box", which is never going to happening.

Good luck with your return to trading and investing. Just remember that you want to work this to the point of boredom, not excitement. This is supposed to be as interesting as putting on your socks. Also please don't sit in front of the charts all day long. Gary probably spends 10 minutes a day in front of his charts. Less really is more in this case.
August 31, 2016 05:51PM
Welcome!

As RichieRick said, most of GW students have gone silent. But you can read back as far as you can on the old forums. You will be able to pick out his students and read everything you can from them. Some are small chart and some are big chart. I have learned so much from both. They were very helpful and went into detail. I picked back up from GW's 2003 classes. I am following what he said, and it is working.

I have used TOS OnDemand till I kept breaking it. I would run a chart through over and over to see what I should be seeing. GW is right. You will "see" the trade when you have practiced enough.
September 06, 2016 10:42AM
I've already added one of Robert's scripts to TOS I found here. I agree, qCharts doesn't map 1:1 to TOS. I'm not sure if I've got my indicators set properly. So far it seems they are pretty close. Anyway, glad to see a few stragglers are still online! I hope you guys/gals are thriving!
JML
September 11, 2016 11:14AM
Can you modify the squeeze script below to where it takes the squeeze taken from a 15 minute chart and shows it on daily chart?
Basically I would like to look at a daily chart and see the squeeze indicator of a 15 minute chart at the bottom.

thanks

declare lower;
input Length = 20;
input Price = Close;
input minPriceMove = 1;
input priceIncrement = 0.01;
input nK = 1.5;
input nBB = 2;
input AlertLine = 1;
input SqueezeOnColor = 2;
input SqueezeOffColor = 6;
def LHMult = If (priceIncrement <> 0, (minPriceMove / priceIncrement), 0);
def ATR = Average(TrueRange(high, close, low), Length);
def SDev = StDev(Price, Length);
def Denom = (nK * ATR);
def BBS_Ind = If (Denom <> 0, ((nBB * SDev) / Denom), 0);
plot BBS_Index = 0;
BBS_Index.AssignValueColor(if BBS_Ind < AlertLine then Color.RED else Color.GREEN);
BBS_Index.SetStyle(4);
BBS_Index.SetLineWeight(2);
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login