Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Get Earnings and Seasonal Trends - Subscribe Today!

Advanced

Made money but.....

Posted by tpplayer32 
Made money but.....
June 07, 2014 11:11AM
Traded BIDU on 9/6 with mixed results
bought 50 contracts @.22 (weekly)- 9:48. Stock turned against me and I turned tail at 9:56 for a $300 dollar loss. I got back in at 10:04 @ .09 when the stock reaffirmed itself. I sold 1/2 my position at 10:42 for .35 and the other 1/2 at 10:49 for .20. I ended up with a $600 profit and an unsatisfied feeling that I should have done better on this trade.
When I first dumped the trade for a loss at 9:56, I looked again at the charts and realized just how far outside the B-bands the stock had gotten. Others can hopefully weigh in , but I suppose one of my mistakes was getting in too early and not waiting for a pullback. In retrospect I also appeared to have stayed too long.

Questions: 1. When a stock starts a meteoric rise in the morning,do you always wait for a pullback? If not, how do you determine if one will occur and if it is just a head-fake or a complete reversal.

2. At times I have noticed that sometimes a movement will reverse and/or go sideways for awhile before eventually continuing to work its way in the direction of the original move.Sometimes this continued movement,if captured, can yield a substantial profit. Just wondering if any of the short chart traders will hold through these extended pauses or pull-backs and if so, what do you see in the larger charts(55,34)that would signal to you that the movement will eventually continue?
Thanks in advance for any feedback on this.
Re: Made money but.....
June 07, 2014 01:15PM
tpplayer, you are not alone in this dilemma--what a pain in the butt this mkt has been. I think we're all stuck because of the time of year and the additional FOMC factors that have prevented any substantive correction to make buyers more comfortable entering for an upside play--result has been anemic volume. The sideways grinders are numbing and useful moves for options trades are occurring later in the day if at all.

Just so you don't feel too bad, look at Friday's GMCR 10min Echart at around noon to the close--think of how many missed that one! Aside from staring at all of our charts each and every minute, we're all in the same boat for the time being...

For your question tho I would offer to hawk money flow index and its effect on price as part of your scan to discern if a back-off is only a back-off before the rise continues, or if the price will move sideways/reverse. Recommend looking at the actual MFI scale to the right and not just the slope of the line. The small incremental MFI changes are what's important and how they effect price--a drop in MFI may not lead to a reversal and a rise may not cause an increase in price. A drop in price may attract more buyers which can then cause MFI to increase and price to climb. It's a lead/lag thing you have to get a feel for.

I would consider staying in a trade if MFI went sideways and volume remained steady, but any close below a 5MA would be a good exit if you've made something by then.

If you are a TOS user try using the equivolume candles on your Echarts. Equivolume candles incorporate volume in to each candle's width-the wider the candle, the more volume in that period. Volume, MFI and price movement can validate if a rise will continue. Equivolume can be added in chart settings, appearance tab, chart mode, chart type drop down. Equivolume is last selection. They take some getting used to but it sure does save a lot of space if you want to know volume in an Echart. I find they also cause the SMAs to paint a better picture of what's coming next.

Try running on demand and replay a few mkt openings to get a feel for how these look and hawk resulting MFI/price action.
June 07, 2014 05:14PM
Moinnorf, thanks for the advice. i will definitely give the equivolume candles a try
June 07, 2014 11:51PM
tpplayer32Traded BIDU on 9/6 with mixed results
bought 50 contracts @.22 (weekly)- 9:48. Stock turned against me and I turned tail at 9:56 for a $300 dollar loss. I got back in at 10:04 @ .09 when the stock reaffirmed itself. I sold 1/2 my position at 10:42 for .35 and the other 1/2 at 10:49 for .20. I ended up with a $600 profit and an unsatisfied feeling that I should have done better on this trade.

It would have been nice to know what chart you used for an entry but let’s look at a 3 chart. I see your entry and your exit. I think the first problem you had was you watched the money. I understand how a $300 loss can rattle a person. And looking at the candles and the MF (Money Flow) it had all the appearance of doing a pull back except the candle you exited on was a bullish one even though it was red. (See page 148 Marker Makers Edge) That candle hammered out the bottom and confirmation came on the next candle.
Moving to a 10 chart I see nothing wrong with your entry the candles were riding nicely along the BB, so again I think you were watching your money and not the chart. Candles can often ride along the BB but when the candle and the wick is way outside the BB then waiting for a pull back may be the right thing to do. Or if a candle begins to pull sideways you’ll notice the BB closing in over time. If you don’t it is very possible that there may be another good move up coming once the candles hit a moving average for support or resistance.
When I look at the 21, 34 and 55 I see nothing wrong with your entry. Even the 8 chart says for you not to leave your trade.

tpplayer32 When I first dumped the trade for a loss at 9:56, I looked again at the charts and realized just how far outside the B-bands the stock had gotten. Others can hopefully weigh in , but I suppose one of my mistakes was getting in too early and not waiting for a pullback. In retrospect I also appeared to have stayed too long.
Your mistake as far as I can see is looking at the profit and seeing none you decided the trade was going against you without really looking at the charts. Yes you had a pull back but not enough of one to exit your winning trade. Your entry was good…could have been better but really not bad at all.
Questions: 1. When a stock starts a meteoric rise in the morning, do you always wait for a pullback? If not, how do you determine if one will occur and if it is just a head-fake or a complete reversal.
2. At times I have noticed that sometimes a movement will reverse and/or go sideways for awhile before eventually continuing to work its way in the direction of the original move. Sometimes this continued movement, if captured, can yield a substantial profit. Just wondering if any of the short chart traders will hold through these extended pauses or pull-backs and if so, what do you see in the larger charts (55, 34) that would signal to you that the movement will eventually continue?

I am a small chart trader. No I don’t always wait for a pull back. It all depends. There are all sorts of reversal signals and they all depend on what chart you use for entry IF you are trading smaller charts. Often when I get into a trade I watch (1) small charts for an exit and that is when the 5 crosses the 10 moving average. Sometimes when a stock has a pop early I jump on it if the 55 and 34 are rising. When I see a red candle forming on one of these 2 charts I begin to think of exiting the trade. That’s when I start looking at my smaller charts. If the MF is curving down, if my MACD lines are shrinking, if my ADX is flattening and my candles are getting smaller with every tick, if I see the net slowing down, I have my option ready to send with just a push of my finger.

As soon as I get in any trade I am looking for a signal to leave.

(My answer to your question #2) Now take a look at your 34 chart for BIDU 6/5/14 at the open. As you start to glance up the BB look how those candles are starting to get smaller. Note how they are all stuck on the BB? Stay in that trade until the first candle leaves the BB that would be the candle you see @ 13:38. As that candle was forming you could see it was leaving the BB EXIT! There’s a pull back.

Let’s look at another signal. Look at BIDU on 4/25/14 on the open. There’s a pull back. Look at that Stoch RSI in the over sold position! It clearly tells you do not buy a call but buy a PUT! Look at the MF, it is near the 80. You have the start of an E but that candle is shouting at you. That is a SLAM. They (Slams) are fast and once that 5 crosses that 10 think about leaving that trade on a SLAM especially when you get an engulfing patter like you did at the candle close @ 10:40.

Another pull back…Look at BIDU on the 10 chart on 4/14 open. When you see a candle like that at the top of a move you have a bearish signal. These smaller charts can prewarn you about the bigger ones and prevent too early an entry off a bigger chart. Now note, when you are seeing red candles start watching for white one especially larger white ones if you are waiting to buy a call. This is telling you that traders are buying in. See those candles falling on the 10 chart until the white one forms @ 10:00? Look at the money flow it turned up. Get out! If you are in a put and get ready for a call.

Another one and it’ll be my last example I promise. Look at the open on the 10 chart on 4/2/14/ Note the MF is above 70 (over sold warning). Since MF is in that area wait another 10 minutes for the next candle. It is red and didn’t go higher than the open. This is a warning to wait. And it is a good thing you did.

When looking for pull backs watch your smaller charts. They are your first warning. Watch candles they will help. Watch indicators. Generally though on the small charts (a 5 usually is what I use) wait for the 5 to cross the 10 moving average up or down depending on how you have bought your option or want to buy an option.

My suggestion…scroll back and find places on 10 minute charts where the candle is out of the BB. Look at a 34 or 55 and see where that candle is. Compare these two charts for confirmation of pull backs looking at the 10 or 5 chart. I can tell you all day long but seeing for yourself after some of these hints will be the best thing for you.

Sorry so long winded. Forgive me….eye popping smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/2014 02:47PM by Darcy2.
June 08, 2014 06:28AM
This is also something that I struggle with. I'm trying to follow along with you when you reference pg. 148 of the Market Maker's Edge. I purchased the iBooks edition for my iPad and it doesn't have page numbers. Would you please say what section of the book you are referring to so that I can look it up?

Thank you for the detailed post.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 07:39AM by robert.
June 08, 2014 02:43PM
robert:

Chapter 14 Candlestick Charting Techniques; Candlestick Reversal Patterns
June 08, 2014 04:17PM
got it. thanks.
June 08, 2014 08:42PM
Darcy,
As usual, you are the best.Thank you so much for sharing your valuable time and expertise.Your posts are like gold to everyone on this forum who seek to master the art of trading. Studying, digesting, and recording all you have posted here will keep me busy for awhile.
Regarding my trade, I actually used the 1 min chart to enter and exit Lately I,ve been being burned by waiting too long to exit trades that have turned against me (especially when first entering). It seems when I wait for a reversal signal ( 5x10, 8ma/candles) on the 10,5, or even 3 min chart, Ive already lost a boatload of money. I know it's my inexperience that is the problem, with either an ill-advised or poorly timed entry, or an inopportune exit. I'm like the novice basketball player that can't see past the player in front of him while the superstar sees the entire court.
At the risk of being a pest, I'd love to ask you some additional questions.
1. BIDU - 6/5 I looked at these charts that morning. I probably would have traded it but did not do so when I noted the resistance on the 55,34,21,and10. Would you have made that trade early on or waited to enter perhaps after the 55 candle closed above the 50ma?
2. BIDU 4/25 Would you have waited on the 5 chart to show signs down (MF reversal,RSI starting to curl,MACD slight down) before entering?
3. BIDU 4/14 Considering the strong support on the 55,34, 21,5,and 3, would you have perhaps stolen a peek at S/O's 1 min chart to get an early exit from your put at 9:58?
As it is said, hind sight is 20/20. I understand everything you've pointed out ; recognizing it in real-time is the challenge. Another sports analogy - the novice sees the action in high speed; the superstar sees it in slow motion. What you have so graciously revealed to me in this post has moved me that much closer to hopefully one day being a starter(superstar status is still a long way off)
Thanks much
tpplayer32
June 09, 2014 07:33AM
tpplayer32

Will look at the dates sometime today but am heading out of town and will be gone most of the day.

But let me say this...

Generally when S/O and I enter a trade the 55,34,21,10,8,5,3,and 1 are all showing E with the 55,34,and 21 with a HRFP/FP as well.

We have entered trades with the 55 close to a HRFP/FP but with the 34 and 21 already showing either and sometimes the 55 is showing E. If we do not have something on the 55 we know we are going to be in a very short trade. The E signals is the main thing we look for then a candle signal. After that we look at eveything else.

Generally in the morning we are searching for our basket with the net moving quickly (high volume) and in the direction of the market. These are the stocks that attract us first. If one of them has E on the charts I've mentioned we are in; pull back or not. Naturally if the candle is way OUTSIDE of the BB we wait or sometimes I jump on a SLAM trade. It just depends on how far out of the BB the candle is and how high the stock went out of the BB (I like to see a $10.00 or more out of the Bcool smiley. I always wait for a red candle in a case such as this. I have seen the thing move sideways and never pull back (news does that).

Yes I agree hindsight is very clear and while the market and stocks are moving it is harder to see but using your rays and line extensions will help a lot as you look as you watch the net on your basket. Watch smaller charts because that is where you will see the move up or down and pick a few stocks to watch that look like they may produce a trade.

Your entry was fine. Remember you bought 50 contracts and a small move down really looks like you are crashing and burning.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 10:30AM by Darcy2.
June 09, 2014 08:58PM
Darcy,
Very good info. I also chime in and agree that your posts are very detailed and informative.

Tpplayer, just know, this is a tough time to trade. I refuse to trade a lot during a choppy market, so I have not placed many trades. I am averaging about 2 trades a week. I want to make sure my trades are really good ones because intraday traders can get hurt pretty quickly because of this "choppiness".
June 10, 2014 08:17AM
Thank you all for the nice statements...tp, I may have to do this in parts but I will start... (If you find type-o's forgive. I am on my lap top and I just don't type as well on it)

tp: "Regarding my trade, I actually used the 1 min chart to enter and exit Lately I,ve been being burned by waiting too long to exit trades that have turned against me (especially when first entering). It seems when I wait for a reversal signal ( 5x10, 8ma/candles) on the 10,5, or even 3 min chart, Ive already lost a boatload of money."

When doing small charts you first have to use the 55 as your trend chart not your action chart. I do not know if you are doing that but just in case you weren't I thought I would say that. A 34 or 21 are not your action charts either and more often than not the 8 is really too fast for small chart trades. This may be your first problem. A 5 or 3 is best. IN fact in the summer zone use a 34 for a trend. A 55 is too long.

tp: (repeating question) "Regarding my trade, I actually used the 1 min chart to enter and exit Lately I,ve been being burned by waiting too long to exit trades that have turned against me (especially when first entering). It seems when I wait for a reversal signal ( 5x10, 8ma/candles) on the 10,5, or even 3 min chart, Ive already lost a boatload of money."

A 1 chart is really to fast for an entry. The candles can make you see a loss while your trend chart is still moving in your direction. A 1 chart is good to see the action happening within the 3 and 5. If you wait for the 5 to x the 10 and it is making you wait to long your entry is messed up. Also have you taken note of the spread? If you are buying 50 contracts and your spread is a nickel you are already $250.00 down. If it is more than that you can see what a head fake that can be.

So I have a question maybe 2 or moregrinning smiley...What sort of spreads have you been having? What time of day are you entering? How much is a boat load? Have you read GW's book list in 1-5? How long had you practiced and how was it in comparison to real? Did you have 26 good trades in a row before doing real? Do you mark on your chart your point of entry? If a candle closes below or above your point of entry that may be your exit point if you are not pin-pointing your entry.

Suggestion: If you do not have a sheet that lists the following : TIME, DATE, TICKER, PRICE, MONTH/STRIKE CALL/PUT, BID, ASK, CONTRACTS, COST, LOSS/PROFIT....you need to make one. Practice using these items mentioned writing them down. I wrote on these sheets why I entered, what I saw, what chart I used, where the market was at the time (up down or mixed) and why I looked at that stock in the first place. You need to see what you see and why you saw it. It is easy to go back and look but until you know what you saw and why you traded you'll not be able to discover your errors.

I'll get to the trades later right now the market is open and off I go.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 08:42AM by Darcy2.
June 10, 2014 11:22AM
tp: "1. BIDU - 6/5 I looked at these charts that morning. I probably would have traded it but did not do so when I noted the resistance on the 55,34,21,and10. Would you have made that trade early on or waited to enter perhaps after the 55 candle closed above the 50ma?"

I'd wait...the 10 E chart did not give any E signal until 10:10. I wait for E's. The best is when they are on all charts. S/O and I have traded when they are only on the 21,10, 8, 5 and 3 with good movement on the 1.

Today 6/10/14 jumped on NFLX @ 9:37 bought 4 contracts June Calls @ 430 strike. Look at the 34, 21,10 and 5 chart and you'll see what S/O and I saw. The ADX and MF was up. We sold @ 10:32 (out at 10:33) for $9.80.

ADD: Look at 233 and Daily on 6/5...this could have been a longer trade. BIDU picking up steam off 20 moving average.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2014 11:26AM by Darcy2.
June 10, 2014 12:39PM
tp: "2. BIDU 4/25 Would you have waited on the 5 chart to show signs down (MF reversal,RSI starting to curl,MACD slight down) before entering?"

As far as 4/25 on small charts there isn't an Esignal until much later. However if you note it is a gap down. Trading off just that gap I would not have bought a PUT until 4/28 when the gap closed and down was well on the way. I would have bought off the open candle on the 5 chart on 4/28. That is entirely different than a E chart trade.
June 10, 2014 01:13PM
tp: "3. BIDU 4/14 Considering the strong support on the 55,34, 21,5,and 3, would you have perhaps stolen a peek at S/O's 1 min chart to get an early exit from your put at 9:58?"

I steal from S/O all the time. I cheat off his paper. In fact S/O finds E trades faster than I can click from chart to chart. He starts by writing down the open using up and down arrows telling him which way the stock has opened for trading. These stocks are:

CMG, AMZN, CR, NFLX, AAPL, VZ, Q'S, FSLR, LNKD, WYNN, EQIX, VMW, WDAY, CAT, CMI, MA, BIDU, BIIB, V, TSLA.

Remember a short pencil is better than a long memory. I made him a chart using EXCEL that has these stocks listed in a box with a space so he can write in them. It helps him see how much a stock is moving from the open. It is just a good visual for him. When he sees a stock starting to change fast his attention is drawn to that stock and thus the charts of that stock. All this happens within a few minutes of the market open. Usually within 10 minutes we have a trade using this list. He saves these sheets and I copy off new ones when he needs them.

S/O watches the net ALOT. Did I mention that S/O watches the net ALOT.

Just in case I forgot to mention S/O watches the net ALOT.

I hope I didn't forget to say S/O watches the net

ALOT.

This is the way he sees his list of stocks moving enough to get into a trade. I don't think GW taught any of us students to do that but for S/O watching the net helps him find his trades.

So do I cheat off S/O's charts? Yep. I do not have a 1 chart. I have a 10, 8 qnd 3. S/O has a 10, 5 and 1. For some reason the 1 chart makes my eyes roll like those apples and oranges in a slot machine. grinning smiley

This is summer time so trading will be fast. What we have noticed is the stocks pop (up or down) and then go sideways with another trade possible at about 2-3 PM. That's how we spotted GMCR...well actually S/O did. I had about thrown in the towel.
June 11, 2014 05:45AM
Good stuff Darcy,

I have not considered looking at another trading time frame until reading your post. I will do some back testing on that. I remember seeing that some waves are going on through out the day during the summer, but I never found any consistency (never really keyed in on additional target period either). Based on the number of indicators I use to find, enter, and exit trades, I will see if I can find another time frame of the day similar to the 9:45=11ish frame. Whew, it would be great to find a solid trade that produces 10% or more-everyday of the week (whether am or pm time of day). Thanks for the tip. I am eager to start practicing.
June 11, 2014 07:49PM
Hi tpplayer,

In addition to all the excellent advice that has already been given, I would like to offer you another perspective which might be helpful to you.

In my humble opinion I think you are entering trades too late. Also I would strongly advise you not to use 1 minute chart for entries or exits due to too many false signals and lot of noise. I used to be a 1 minute chart trader and since I switched to 2 min and 5 min charts, my results have improved tremendously. For exits I use 2 closes below 8 EMA on 2 min chart. If you would have done that, you would not have exited your position because 1 bar closed below 8 EMA on 2 min chart, but the next bar closed above it and trade would have continued. I have found this "2 closes below 8 EMA on 2 min chart" to be extremely useful for exits and much better than any of the other methods including candlesticks, 5 crossing 10, money flow turning below 80 etc.

This is how I day trade using 2 min chart:

I wait for breakout above previous day high or 5 min open range high whichever is higher, making sure price is above 8 EMA on 5 min and 13 min charts and ADX of stock > 20 on 5 min and 55 min chart, and above average volume on breakout bar, and SPY ADX > 20 at time of breakout. Then I wait for a close of a bar above range high + 2 min ATR which avoids lot of fake breakouts and I enter at the open of the next bar after close of bar above range high + ATR. I use stop loss of 2 x ATR below entry price and my first profit target is 2 x ATR above entry price, at which point I sell half position and immediately raise stop loss to entry price. Then I wait for 2 closes below 8 EMA for exiting remaining position.

Let's see how I would have fared on 6/6 in BIDU using this strategy:

Previous day high was 168.14. The candle at 9:34 pushed above it to 168.23 but closed below it. The next candle at 9:36 closed above it on high volume above average volume, ADX was > 20 on both 5 min and 55 min charts, price was above 8 EMA on 5 min and 13 min charts, and SPY 5 min ADX was 19.4 and climbing, so almost perfect conditions. 2 min ATR was 0.4 at that time so target price was 168.14 + 0.4 = 168.54. The 9:36 candle closed at 168.5 just shy of target. The next candle at 9:38 closed above target at 169.28 and qualified. I would have entered at open of 9:40 candle at 169.25 much earlier than your entry.

My stop loss would have been at 169.25 - (0.4 x 2) = 168.45 and my first profit target would have been 169.25 + (0.4 x2) = 170.05. This was hit at 9:46 and I would have been out of half position even before you entered!!! Then I would have raised my stop loss to 169.25 and then relaxed because now I had a ZERO RISK position with GUARANTEED PROFIT no matter what! Then I would have waited for 2 closes below 8 EMA on 2 minute chart for exit from full position. The 2 closes below 8 EMA occurred at 10:42 at 172.16 and I would have exited then for a nice profit overall! Would have profited about $1 to $1.2 depending on whether I bought delta 30 or delta 40 weekly call.

Please consider this method and seriously consider 2 closes below 8 EMA on 2 min chart for exits. If you used this 2 closes below 8 EMA on 1 minute chart you would have lost just like you actually did, but on 2 min chart it would have kept you out of the loss!

Best wishes,

Tan
June 11, 2014 07:58PM
Two more important points. When price breaks out of previous day high or 5 min open range high whichever is higher, then look quickly at daily chart and make sure there is no overhead resistance right in front of the price in the form of 8, 21, 55, 233 EMA. Also if ascent of price towards the range high is too steep and long, then avoid the trade because of high likelihood of fake breakout.
June 11, 2014 08:09PM
nice write up, Tan. I really appreciate the step-by-step walk through.
June 11, 2014 08:49PM
Same here tanman. Good stuff!
June 12, 2014 08:43PM
Tanman,
Thanks for the suggestions.Could you clarify some uncertainties I have with your post?
1. What do you mean by 5 min open range? Also in a previous post you referenced a 30 min open range. What determines the time period you employ when calculating a trade?
2. What is 2min ATR ? How is it calculated? When you reference a "bar", is that as in bar chart, similar to a candle?
3. Are you considering any other triggers (E, FP/HRFP, MF) before placing your trade?
4 Obviously you are sometimes breaking the universal rule of placing trades during Amateur Hour(something I'm often tempted to do). Does your stategy sufficiently insulate you from pullbacks to make this a profitable risk?
5. Why do you prefer to use EMA's rather than SMA's?
6. TOS gives a delta reading for the different options that varies from about .3 to .8. My limited knowledge of this is that the higher the number, the closer the option movement will follow the stock movement. What is a 30 and 40 delta, and where do you find this? Beyond that, how do you juggle the delta stats with the gamma and theta. If this is too complex to get into here, can you direct me to literature that can explain these concepts?
9.As you stated on a previous post, exiting on a 2 min chart is conservative. You also indicated that you exited on a 5 min chart at times. Do you vary your exit depending on the season, the stock, or maybe just your intuition?
Thanks for your input.
June 12, 2014 11:17PM
Tpplayer,

Thank you for the excellent questions! I am not a representative of majority of traders here so this is my own perspective as an independent poster, and some of the answers are my opinion only.

1. 5 min open range is the high and the low established by stock price in the first 5 minutes of trading and 30 min open range is the high and the low established by stock price in the first 30 minutes of trading. These 2 time period ranges are used by a lot of day traders all over the world and act as support and resistance areas. 30 min open range is the more popular one because lot of news comes out at 10 am EST, therefore more likely to be a point of reversal or breakout. I combine it with previous day high and low meaning I look for a breakout above open range or previous day high, whichever is higher or breakdown below open range low or previous day low, whichever is lower. When there is a confluence between the two highs or two lows then they act as stronger resistance or support and breakout is usually more likely to be real. I use the 5 min open range/previous day range combo for first 30 minutes, then switch to 30 min open range/previous day range combo after first 30 minutes for breakout day trading. You can also use these ranges for reversal day trading when price reverses from these areas, usually in range bound days.

For further info please see the following references:
[wealthv.com]
[www.wpi.edu]

2. ATR is the average true range of a stock price. It is available as an indicator on almost every trading platform. 2 minute ATR is the average true range of stock price in 2 minute period and can be plotted on a 2 minute chart. It will represent the average distance a stock price travels in a period of 2 minutes, averaged out over a set period of time. The true range is the largest of the:

Most recent period's high minus the most recent period's low
Absolute value of the most recent period's high minus the previous close
Absolute value of the most recent period's low minus the previous close

Yes bar as in bar chart, and candle as in candlestick chart.

3. No because I am a breakout day trader and E, FP/HRFP are reversal point indicators. They or their variations can be used in breakout trading not for timing entry, but more for timing exits which are more like reversal points. I use trend indicators for breakout trading like close above 8 EMA in various time frames for an uptrend, and ADX indicator (average directional index) for establishing trend, and breakout from open range or previous day range for entry points in an uptrend. I also use volume to gauge strength of a breakout. I believe E, FP/HRFP have no role in timing entry in breakout trading and their only role might be in timing exits or timing entry in reversal trading. Since the crossovers are lagging indicators, even in timing exits they are not ideal and can cause a delay in exits. I use the 2 price closes below 8 EMA for exits which is the most direct method. MF can also be a good indicator for timing exits when it crosses from above 80 to below 80 in a long entry. For further info I would recommend reading the Market Maker's Edge book.

The E, FP/HRFP can be very valuable in timing entries in reversal trading.

4. I would not recommend trading before 10 am unless you are an experienced trader, because the swings can be wild. I usually trade shares instead of options and have a precise stop loss in place at the time of entry to minimize a loss. The gamma of options in the first 30 minutes is too high for my comfort! The only risk in breakout trading is a fake breakout and by incorporating ATR in my entries, I reduce the risk of entering a fake breakout thereby making it a profitable risk. I enter only if price closes above range high + ATR because most fake breakouts close below the ATR distance and pull back before reaching the ATR distance above breakout.

5. The EMA will change sooner than the SMA because it emphasizes the recent activity more than the older activity. I find that it reacts to the price action better than SMA especially in the fast paced day trading. For longer term trading SMA could be better.

6. The 0.3 delta on TOS means a delta of 30. It means that an option has 30 percent chance of ending up in the money before expiration. It also means that for $1 change in price of stock, the price of option will change by only 30 cents. Higher delta options change in price more with the underlying stock price change but the price of those options is more expensive so the percentage change is actually far less than the lower delta options.

Theta or time decay is constantly working against you so you limit its effect by holding the option for as less time as possible, especially in weekly options.

At the money options have the highest gamma (rate of change of delta) as well as options near expiration. This is why weekly options have the highest gamma. At the money options also have the highest theta. Theta contributes to the price of option also.

The advantage of delta 30 options is that when stock price moves in your favor they increase in delta, gamma, and theta as the option moves from out of the money to at the money therefore increase in price is more and faster, but when stock price moves against you they decrease in delta, gamma, and theta as the option moves from out of the money to farther out of the money therefore decrease in price is less and slower. So when you win, you win more and when you lose, you lose less, for the same unit move in stock price!

Delta 70 or delta 80 options on the other hand are in the money and when stock moves in your favor delta increases but both gamma and theta DECREASE so the increase in price is lesser and slower, but when price moves against you the delta decreases but both gamma and theta INCREASE so you lose relatively more money and faster as option moves from in the money to at the money!! In addition to that the percentage increase in price of delta 30 options is far greater than delta 70 or delta 80 options. For the same move in stock price and for the same total cost of options, you can make up to 5 times more money with delta 30 weekly options than delta 70 or delta 80 weekly options, depending on how much the stock price moves!

You also have to be careful about vega especially when stock price goes up because volatility goes down when stock price goes up and vega goes down and therefore option price goes down! That is why sometimes stock is moving up but the option price doesn't seem to move up as much, or remains same or even sometimes goes down!

You can read books by Guy Cohen, Sheldon Natenberg, Lawrence McMillan for more in depth info.

#7 and #8 are missing

9. You can use 2 min 8 EMA exit for conservative and 5 min 8 EMA exit for more aggressive. 5 min 8 EMA keeps you in the trade for longer time so you can make more money but you can have larger losses on exit because 2 closes below 5 min 8 EMA can go down lower than 2 closes below 2 min 8 EMA. It all depends on if you are a 2 min chart trader or 5 min chart trader. 2 min chart trading has more aggressive entry because earlier entry and more chance of fake breakout, so you use more conservative exit strategy. 5 min chart trading is more conservative entry because of later entry and less chance of fake breakout, so you can use a more aggressive exit strategy. 2 min trading is for more experienced traders. You can have the best of both worlds by entry based on a 5 minute chart and exit based on 2 closes below 8 EMA on a 2 minute chart. Conservative entry and conservative exit! Your dollar profit amount might be lesser because entry signal comes later on 5 minute chart than a 2 minute chart, but your losses will be lesser too. I personally prefer this last method.

Tan

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2014 01:11AM by tanman.
June 13, 2014 08:48AM
that's an incredibly thorough and lucid response, tan. thanks. and thanks, as well, for your additional perspective on all that goes on here. muy bueno!
June 13, 2014 03:52PM
Linter, thanks for the kind words. I tried to be thorough but on reading my answer to #4 again, I felt it was a bit incomplete. The question was whether my strategy sufficiently insulates me from pullbacks to make Amateur Hour trading a profitable risk. In response I only touched upon ATR, but there are other components in my strategy also that help me avoid pullbacks after a breakout so that I enter only the highest probability trades, not just during the first hour of trading but at any time. I use 5 minute chart and enter the trade only if all of the following conditions are met:

1. Price breaks out above open range or previous day range, whichever is further.
2. This breakout occurs on above average volume. I use 10 period average volume for this.
3. Stock ADX on both 5 minute and 55 minute charts is above 20 at the time of breakout (can use 60 min chart also instead of 55 min).
4. SPY ADX on 5 minute chart is above 20, and SPY is trending in same direction as stock at time of breakout.
5. Stock price is above 8 EMA on both 5 minute and 13 minute charts at time of breakout (can use 15 min chart also instead of 13 min).
6. There is no overhead resistance on a daily chart immediately in front of the breakout price in the form of 8, 21, 50, and 200 EMA.
7. Ascent slope of stock price while approaching the range high is not too long and too steep. Instead breakout occurs from a consolidation pattern in upper half of range, such as a cup pattern.
8. Price closes above range high + ATR after breakout.

When all these conditions are met before entry, it increases the probability of the breakout being a real breakout. Additional optional rule is to check for favorable news before breakout, which increases the probability of a real breakout even more.

Hope that helps,

Tan
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login